November 27, 2012 § Leave a comment
Carlton, Chaz and I headed to Syracuse for Thanksgiving this year. We were very excited to be in NY this Thanksgiving since we have been in DC for the last 2 years. Our trip started out a bit later than planned but we made it home around 12:15 am on Thanksgiving morning. I hurried off to bed because I had a 5k Turkey trot in the morning. It was a nervous night for me as I haven’t run a 5k or done anything competitively since before I was diagnosed. When my alarm went off at 7:30 I was ready to go..butterflies and all!
The best thing about the 5k is that I was running it with my two of my besties. They are both much more seasoned runners so I knew they’d finish ahead of me but it was great knowing they were there. Here’s a photo of us before the race..(also we ran into another friend Katie– she’s all the way to the right!!)
As the starting bell went off a calm came over me. It was like riding a bike! The course was much hillier than I expected so mile 1 was difficult for me. After that though my confidence started to build and my stride started to pick up. My goal was to run the whole race and I did that. My time wasn’t as fast as I’d hoped…but finished in 34 minutes. Given the hills…I think that’s pretty good!
I’m recovering from a kidney infection that I came down with Saturday..but am itching to get back to Crossfit this week. I can’t wait for my next 5k!!
I spent the rest of Thanksgiving cooking with my mom and enjoying our hard work with my parents, Nana, sister and her great bf Dan and of course Carlton.. 🙂 We also had three dogs in the house!! Very loud group:)
I hope you all had a blessed and fun Thanksgiving..on to Christmastime 🙂 xo
November 19, 2012 § 2 Comments
I can’t even believe we head to Syracuse in two days for Thanksgiving. Where did the fall go?! It really is so crazy how fast time flies by…especially when you are having fun.
I have a lot to be thankful for so I figured this being Thanksgiving week it would be an appropriate time to blog about it..
I am forever thankful for my husband, he is my best friend and partner. We are so blessed to have such a fun-loving and caring relationship. We have so much fun and laugh all the time, he makes me a better me.
For my family, this to me has always included my best friends and I have always have more than 1 …that truly is a blessing. For my parents who love me unconditionally and always support me. My sister who will always be my little sister even though she is almost 25 and has a masters..(she’s the overachieving one!!) Rebecca knows me so well, she makes me laugh, listens and gives me all the love I need. My Nana, who I am so lucky to still have here with me on this earth. She has always been somewhat of a third parent…and I am thankful for that. Now I can’t go on and on or you guys will hate me but I am thankful for my high school girls who really are my “home”. Whenever we are together I feel more at home than anywhere else..
I’ll continue this post tomorrow.. 🙂
November 7, 2012 § Leave a comment
Hey everybody!! Sorry i’ve fallen off the grid a bit. We were in Chicago last weekend and then get stranded because of hurricane Sandy that ended up messing with last week..and then tons of work to catch up on. But I am HERE!
We had such a lovely time in Chicago that I owe you all a blog post about it. This was my 3rd trip to Chi town and Carlton’s first. We splurged and stayed at a nice hotel in honor of a belated first anniversary trip. We stayed at the Fairmont for our honeymoon in Barbados and decided to stay with them again this trip. The Fairmont Millennium Park was gorgeous and luxurious. Our experience was fabulous, they treated us great…upgraded our room we had a gorg. view of the lake and even put champagne and chocolate covered strawberry’s in our room. We are officially Fairmont snobs :). A very good friend of ours is in her 3rd year of law school at Loyola Chicago and she played a great tour guide. It was also just so much fun to reconnect and spend time with her. We totally recommend the following sights if your headed to Chicago..
- Millennium Park (the bean!!)
- Navy Pier
- Architecture tour (by boat– we did lake and river!)
- Improv! 2nd city is supposed to be great but it was sold out..so we went to the IO which was AMAZING. Totally do it!! Also close to Wrigley which is a great perk
- Drinks at the Signature Room in the Hancock building (amazing views–do it at Sunset!)
- Shopping on Michigan Ave…
Now I am thrilled to report I had such a wonderful food experience….Chicago is SO advanced with food allergies. I had a million options and felt like a normal person! :)Gluten-free/ Dairy-free success!!!! Please check out these awesome places if you go to Chicago..
- Hannah’s Bretzel: This place rocks, I wanna open a franchise. I had my 1st sandwich since March. They are super well trained in allergy— have delsih gf/df bread and all organic meats and produce. It’s a casual place…we loved it so much we ate there 2. Lunch and breakfast..they do breakfast sandwiches to order..ah-mazing!Look how happy I am here? Almost tears of joy…
- Sweetwater: Right in Millenium park and delish brunch. They have a great gf menu as well! I had the wild mushroom hash with bacon and eggs over easy..It was so awesome I’m trying to replicate at home. It was also HUGE for 12 bucks and we ended up splitting it because my husband has a very large appetite!
- Bountiful Eatery: Totally GF restaurant opened by a woman with celiacs..it was the first totally safe gf space in Chicago. The food was awesome, I had a gf chicken pita with a side salad and quinoa..YUM! Carlton had kebabs which were great as well. My favorite was the “bounty” lol, of baked good from local bakeries. I had a gf/df red velvet cupcake with lavender. IN LOVE!!
- Mia Francesa: No photos but it was delish too..I had sauteed calamari and spinach with garlic. They also had gf pasta but given all the carbs I was eating I opted to decline..despite being tempted. The glutened food was awesome from what my husband and friend said. Def. check it out and it’s very close to the IO.
So that was Chicago– LOVE it! Could definitely live there..and people are SO nice!!:)