The Windy City!
November 7, 2012 § Leave a comment
Hey everybody!! Sorry i’ve fallen off the grid a bit. We were in Chicago last weekend and then get stranded because of hurricane Sandy that ended up messing with last week..and then tons of work to catch up on. But I am HERE!
We had such a lovely time in Chicago that I owe you all a blog post about it. This was my 3rd trip to Chi town and Carlton’s first. We splurged and stayed at a nice hotel in honor of a belated first anniversary trip. We stayed at the Fairmont for our honeymoon in Barbados and decided to stay with them again this trip. The Fairmont Millennium Park was gorgeous and luxurious. Our experience was fabulous, they treated us great…upgraded our room we had a gorg. view of the lake and even put champagne and chocolate covered strawberry’s in our room. We are officially Fairmont snobs :). A very good friend of ours is in her 3rd year of law school at Loyola Chicago and she played a great tour guide. It was also just so much fun to reconnect and spend time with her. We totally recommend the following sights if your headed to Chicago..
- Millennium Park (the bean!!)
- Navy Pier
- Architecture tour (by boat– we did lake and river!)
- Improv! 2nd city is supposed to be great but it was sold out..so we went to the IO which was AMAZING. Totally do it!! Also close to Wrigley which is a great perk
- Drinks at the Signature Room in the Hancock building (amazing views–do it at Sunset!)
- Shopping on Michigan Ave…
Now I am thrilled to report I had such a wonderful food experience….Chicago is SO advanced with food allergies. I had a million options and felt like a normal person! :)Gluten-free/ Dairy-free success!!!! Please check out these awesome places if you go to Chicago..
- Hannah’s Bretzel: This place rocks, I wanna open a franchise. I had my 1st sandwich since March. They are super well trained in allergy— have delsih gf/df bread and all organic meats and produce. It’s a casual place…we loved it so much we ate there 2. Lunch and breakfast..they do breakfast sandwiches to order..ah-mazing!Look how happy I am here? Almost tears of joy…
- Sweetwater: Right in Millenium park and delish brunch. They have a great gf menu as well! I had the wild mushroom hash with bacon and eggs over easy..It was so awesome I’m trying to replicate at home. It was also HUGE for 12 bucks and we ended up splitting it because my husband has a very large appetite!
- Bountiful Eatery: Totally GF restaurant opened by a woman with celiacs..it was the first totally safe gf space in Chicago. The food was awesome, I had a gf chicken pita with a side salad and quinoa..YUM! Carlton had kebabs which were great as well. My favorite was the “bounty” lol, of baked good from local bakeries. I had a gf/df red velvet cupcake with lavender. IN LOVE!!
- Mia Francesa: No photos but it was delish too..I had sauteed calamari and spinach with garlic. They also had gf pasta but given all the carbs I was eating I opted to decline..despite being tempted. The glutened food was awesome from what my husband and friend said. Def. check it out and it’s very close to the IO.
So that was Chicago– LOVE it! Could definitely live there..and people are SO nice!!:)